It’s that time of year again. Time to reflect on the writing goals I set for myself in 2013, and form new ones for 2014. To be perfectly transparent, I never did go back and check myself for progress. So this exercise is either going to be very fulfilling, or utterly humiliating.
First, let’s see how I did for 2013 (here’s the link to the original post):
1. Publish The Storm and the Darkness (Book 2 in the House of Crimson & Clover series)– SUCCESS! Published in July.
2. Publish to this blog often (weekly at a minimum), including finishing my Travel Series for all travels thus far– PARTIAL SUCCESS! Even at my least active points, I still managed to post at least once a week. Unfortunately, I did not finish my travel series, but at least it was for a good reason (I was writing!)
3. Participate in and complete Camp NaNoWriMo in April & July– SUCCESS! Participated in, and completed, both.
4. Participate in and complete NaNoWriMo in November– SUCCESS! Participated in and completed.
5. Start editing the as yet untitled Book 3 in the House of Crimson & Clover series- UBER SUCCESS! Not only did I start editing The Illusions of Eventide, but I actually published it in December.
6. Start speccing out my fantasy world for the fantasy series I want to write– SUCCESS! Well, I should add a caveat: this went an entirely different direction than I originally intended. I was going to write an independent fantasy series, but instead, a Crimson and Clover fantasy offshoot emerged.
7. Launch the House of Crimson & Closer Newsletter and keep it alive– SUCCESS! Launched in November.
8. Publish St. Charles at Dusk in more places, and make it more accessible– SUCCESS! Dusk is now available on all major channels.
9. Learn more about marketing my work, and apply several new techniques– SUCCESS! I still don’t have the magic bullet, but I’ve been a marketing machine this year.
10. Come out of my shell a bit and become a more active member of the indie writing community– UBER SUCCESS! I can’t be more happy with all the amazing people I’ve met, and all the channels I’ve opened.
I have to say- I never expected to hit all of these goals. I truly didn’t. The fact that I did is not only some kind of miracle, but also reminds me just how freaking hard I worked this year. And that’s nothing to say of the additional things I did (i.e. writing a novelette, Beyond Dusk: Anne).
So, without further ceremony, here are my plans for 2014:
1. Re-release St. Charles at Dusk in first quarter, with additional continuity and content edits.
2. Release Beyond Darkness: Shattered in February.
3. Release Beyond Eventide: Bound in April.
4. Release my Midnight Dynasty novellas sometime before end of the year (total of three).
5. Release Empire of Shadows (book 4) before end of the year (ideally October).
6. Finish the novella for Jon, Beyond Darkness: Shame.
7. Deploy a professional website.
8. Stay active and focused on select social media channels. Learn to focus on several and not spread myself thin.
9. Complete at least one of the spring NaNoWriMo sessions, and the November one.
10. Find a healthy balance between my two careers, home, and all other craziness life throws at me.
Will I succeed? Well, I have a whole bunch of people now holding me accountable (thanks to hitting #10 on last year’s list). I’ve learned a lot about my limits, as well as just how far I can stretch my creativity and flexibility, when needed. In sum, I know a lot more about myself than I did last December. I know what I want.
So here’s to 2014! COME AT ME BRO!