Do you ever have one of those weeks where it feels like you’ve conquered the world, and yet accomplished nothing remarkably tangible? That was me this week.
I was in a bit of writing limbo to begin with. The Storm and the Darkness (book 2) is in the hands of my betas, so I’m waiting patiently for their feedback. I won’t have my cover until next week, so I can’t get a jump on some of the early marketing.
So that meant that I could possibly do some playing and planning with books 3-5, or start outlining book 6 (for July NaNoWriMo). Never one to half-ass it, I decided to do ALL of these things.
Unrelated to the series, I wrote a post about Negative Review Etiquette that somehow took off around Facebook and the indie writing community and brought in over 1500 views just for that article alone. Crazy! If I had known it would get so much play, I might have spent more time prettifying it.
Without further adieu, here’s my House of Crimson and Clover updates:
– Published an excerpt on The Community Storyboard. This would be unremarkable except for the fact that the scene I posted has never been previously shared online. It’s also a very personal scene for me.
– Posted my first official excerpt from the book, on The Community Storyboard, to positive feedback. Getting ridiculously excited to get the cover and get this published.
– Had some TREMENDOUSLY helpful beta feedback from one of my betas who is actually sending me her thoughts as she reads. She’s so awesome I feel like I should be paying for her services.
– Posted a fun little WIP Update, as well as creating a few images that I can play with for Eventide-related posts until its time to buy my official cover from my awesome cover guy. Yes I know these are silly, but, damnit, I’m a writer not a graphic designer!
– Picked my “theme” color. Each of the books in my series has a color scheme with the cover. Dusk is purple, Darkness blue. Eventide will be green.
– Finished my outline. This one was the biggie. Although the book was already 50k words long, it needed a formal outline so that I could focus the story in a linear and consistent fashion.
– Moved the novel into Scrivener.
– Re-read the entire book (sitting at 50k words). Realized it was better than I thought, but it will definitely need the most work of ALL my drafts. Lots of POVs, lots of action, and lots of crazy plots.
– Picked a theme color. Red. Because of all the bloodshed (oooh, spoilers!).
– Re-read the entire book (sitting at 50k words). Holy crap- this is good. No, like, REALLY GOOD! I was so pleasantly surprised at how awesome this was, and I think it has to do with the fact that I had a detailed outline going into it. Editing this one is going to be so much easier than the others.
– Stepped WAY outside my comfort zone by posting a completely unedited chapter form the book on The Community Storyboard.
– Book 6 is set to be my July 2013 NaNoWriMo project. With everything else going on, I was having trouble deciding on the next step in the story. But between re-reading the other books, and some brainstorming with my good friend Amanda, I think I have a story! Next step is to outline it before July.
Finally, I set some high-level writing goals for myself, for the rest of the year. With everything going on, I wanted to ensure I could stay on task with my writing and publishing goals:
May: Finish Book 6 Outline
June: Final Edits and Marketing Campaign for The Storm and the Darkness
July: Publish The Storm and the Darkness, Write Book 6 for NaNoWriMo
August-October: Editing phase for The Illusions of Eventide
November: Write Book 7 for NaNowriMo
December: Get The Illusions of Eventide to my betas
January: Release The Illusions of Eventide
(By the way, if you haven’t noticed a pattern above, I’d like to point out how awesome The Community Storyboard is. The fact that I posted excerpts- that I’ve never posted before- there before i posted them here should tell ya something. If you’re a writer, go post some of your work. If you’re a reader, go read some work. Either way, check it out!)