There are not words adequate enough to express my happiness and relief in finally finishing a first draft of The Storm and the Darkness. HOO-FREAKING-RAY!
I started this story, which will be the second published book in the House of Crimson and Clover series, as my NaNoWriMo project in 2010. It sat for a couple of years (at the same 50k words where I left it) while I worked on other projects, and I picked it back up again in December last year to polish it up and get it ready for publication.
If you’ve been following my posts, you probably know that finishing this first draft was slow-going for me. I knew it needed to be at least 30% longer, and that there were a lot of loose ends and story changes that came from my storyboarding exercises. But I knew I had to focus and get it done, because I want to get in a better writing routine overall. I have two additional manuscripts waiting to be edited, and with three NaNoWriMos this year (2 camps and 1 regular), I’ll have three more at the end of the year. I really want to stay on top of this, and try to publish at the rate of 2/year.
So I set daily writing goals and stuck to them. In fact, I finished a whole week early because I’m so awesome.
Now, I will let it sit for a week or so and come back to start the second draft edits so I can get this bad boy off to my beta readers for some feedback and fun. In the meantime, I suppose I should start my April NaNoWriMo outline…boo…