Edited to add: Since the original publication of this article, I’ve knocked the Tudor/Plantagenet item off my list. Was every bit as amazing as I expected!
I love to travel. I’ve been very, very fortunate in the travel experiences I have had so far. If for some reason I could never travel again, I would have so many amazing memories, that I could almost be okay with that. Almost.
Of course, there are still many experiences I still want to have, many other places on “the list” that I still want to see. My friends, this list is long. In fact, it would be much easier and quicker to list the places that I don’t want to see, although even those would come with an asterisk. For example, a holy pilgrimage across the Middle East would be in my Top 5 if it were a safer place to travel. I’d also like to travel to the Congo and pick up my conflict diamonds in person someday (okay, maybe I am kidding on that one).
Having said that, in an always ongoing effort to prioritize, I’ve created my “holy grail” Top 5 Can’t-Die-Before-I-Take-These-Trips List.
In no particular order:
- New Zealand Middle-earth Tour– Obviously there is no greater experience for a true Tolkien fan than this. Drooling as I type. Enough said.
- York/Plantagenet/Tudor Castle Tour across England, Scotland, and Wales– Rent a car and tour the countrysides of the UK, visiting all the castles of the Yorks, Plantagenets, and their descendants. Get arrested for not being able to drive properly on the other side of the road.- NOTE: I completed this item in June 2015. Yay!
- Orient Express across Russia, China, and Mongolia– My BFF/international partner-in-crime and I have been talking about doing this for years. It sounds like a delicious trip to write a novel on.
- Tour of Italy– The history of ancient Rome has always been dear to my heart. Although seeing Rome would satisfy most of that craving, I would love to see the entire country, from Tuscany to the coast.
- Alpine Drive Excursion– We’ve talked for awhile about doing euro-delivery on a BMW and driving it all over the alpine passes…through Germany, Switzerland, Austria.
Machu Picchu, Peru; Paris, France; Jerusalem, Israel